Saturday 6 October 2007

Zanzibar stage 2

So we headed to Nungwi, party capital of Zanzibar.




We arrived, we booked diving, we slept on the beach, we ate dinner, we drank 3 beers, we went to bed at 9pm, we woke up with hangovers.


Thankfully the morning dive was cancelled, so we resumed beach sleeping. I (Phil) went for an afternoon dive to Leven Bank. It's a sandbank reef that rises up to about 25m about 3 miles off shore. At the dive centre, they told me it was a 30m dive, cool. By the time we reached the boat, it was a 35m dive, when the dive brief came along 3 miles off shore it was a 40m dive. Now that's ok with me if I know it's coming, if I've been drinking water all morning, haven't got a hangover, and had time to get my head around it - after all I've done lots of 30m dives and one 50m dive.


I had a hangover, I hadn't had that much water and I had about a minute to get my head round it. I sensibly decided that diving to 40m was a really dumb ideal and then jumped in anyway. Hey I was 3 miles off shore and there was the posibility of seeing sharks, some things you just can't turn down.


Straight down to 40m in about a minute as planned. saw a huge Ray. That would have been cool except I had a massive case of nitrogen narcosis. (for the non divers, it's not dangerous, it's just a bit like being drunk, you think slow and do stupid things). As a result I spent the next ten minutes trying to remember what the damn creature was called. Finally Steve Irwin popped into my head and I remembered it was a ray.


Did see some cool chimney like coral though.


Re-surfaced, got sea sick and threw up. Got onto shore, had food and slowly recovered, felt rough all night. Not a good dive.


Next day we both headed out diving. Really pretty diving at nice shallow depths on Mnemba Atol. Saw a turtle and some cool sand eels.


Had a nice night out, took a photo of the sunset, got drunk again and then headed back to Dar es Salam the next day.



There's not much to tell about Dar. Went to bank. Got Ugandan visa. Ate sushi at a really nice westernised area of Dar. Moved on...

No comments: