Friday 28 March 2008

Kite Surfing

(Welcome to Bariloche, heart of the Argentine Lake District.
Reputedly, the home of awesome mountain biking and some amazing walking among the high Andean passes.

Truthfully, home of a lot of mountain bike shops who will tell you you cant ride off road and tourist information centres that tell you not to ride on the road cos it is just too dangerous. And home of some amazing walking, and you can use the ski lift to get to the top of the first day. And the sunsets aren´t bad

So, what to do....hmmm....

Well we checked into a guesthouse, really nice place, owned by an 86 year old who told us all about all the places we could go and gave us maps, whether we wanted them or not. Sweet old lady. met a nice couple called Chad and Danna in the hostel, who recommended Kite Boarding on the lake. real possibility there...

The land lady quickly turned insane. By the third day she had told everyone off because she couldn´t find one of the 4 cups. Chad was told off for using the heater in his room. Canadian bloke was told to leave the kitchen because he was only camping and had no right to use the cups.

On the 4th day, we were told we had to leave. We said we were staying for a week as planned, she said she didn´t know that and we had to leave. After some discussion we were given a reprieve until the 6th day. Though I was severely reprimanded for fixing the toilet. She asked why I had loosened the cistern cover. I said that the toilet had been continually flushing, so I´d fixed it. She told me no I hadn´t because it was fixed before I came, and not to do it again.

On the 5th day the Canadian was told he had to wait to use the shower until everyone who wasn´t camping was finished in there first. He was also ejected from the kitchen for using a cup again.

On the 5th day, I broke a glass. It was quickly hidden in a cardboard box, in a bag, in a box, in the bin. Nobody said a word, but there were days of questions over that glass. I also slammed the bathroom door, cos it needed it to shut it properly. The old lady was quickly braying on our door asking what was going on. She also took our wet clothes (been swimming in the lake) out of a bag we left on the floor and hung them on the line. She carefully returned them all dried out that night. She returned them to Donna mind you, but you´ve got to love a tryer. And trust me, she was trying.

On the 6th day we left, crossed her garden and moven into her sons hostel. Sadly 2 days later they had no space so we had to move back for 2 days. I booked in with the old woman and this time was given a key for the front door with the words... ´We´re locking the front door now, because the Canadian boy is not right in the head!´ I took the keys and ran, hoping to avoid her for 2 days. 20mins later she tracked down Chad and yelled at him because I had lied and was only staying for one night. This was news to both Chad and me. Another 20mins and she found me, demanded that I pay for 2 mights now, ´because you are a liar, I don´t trust anybody now.´

I was so glad to leave there.

Anyway, activities in Bariloche...

First we found a place that rented a tandem mountain bike. If you can´t ride off road, you might as well have a tandem. To we spent a day touring the local lakes and concluding that the roads are not dangerous, the tourist office have clearly never visited the UK and consequently have no idea what a busy dangerous road is. Top day, idiot tourist office.


Then we tried walking. We got the ski lift to the top of the mountain, walked around for 10 minutes and then concluded that we really weren´t ready for another multi day trek. Especially if we could just get the bus to the bottom each day and ride a ski lift up to get the view. It takes all the majesty out of it.

So Kite boarding had to be the solution then...

I have a 2.5sqm drag kite at home. In a decent wind, it can take me off my feet. So they gave me a 16sqm kite. I loved it. It´s really easy to control because its so slow. Right up to the point where you lose control. It then drags you three feet out of the water and after a brief ´superman´it deposits you head first back in the water. Having supermanned a few times the instructor told me to stop letting go of the kite. This was curious to me as the kite was totally out of control and was throwing me 20 feet at a time. But the instructor resolutely advised that so long as I wasn´t going to land on land, I should just hold on and the kite would eventually settle down.

This led to what I will term the inverse enema...

Kite takes off,
Phil takes off,
20 feet of superman style travel,
head first dive into the water,
3 foot drag through the water,
Inhale roughly 3 feet of water,
resurface, cough,
kite takes off....
you get the picture I guess.

Anyway the kite does eventually settle down and you can try to get up on a board again. Kites are a genious invention. As soon as I get too frightened to mountain bike, I´m buying a kite.

Vicky was having a whale of a time with the kite. The first day there were some nerves, Second day she almost enjoyed, third day you couldn´t get her out of the water and she even got stood up briefly.








No comments: